The International Society for the History of the Map (ISHMap) has as its mission:
To advance the study of the history of maps and mapping in all societies and overall periods of time
- By promoting the education of the general public in the subject
- By promoting communication between members and others interested in the subject
- By promoting the research, teaching and funding of the subject
These tasks will be carried out by the members of the society or in association with relevant organizations by means of publications, conferences, seminars, courses and other suitable methods at a university or other institution (e.g. library, archive or museum) worldwide.
ISHMap activities and initiatives to accomplish this mission include:
A Symposium organized very two years since 2012. The 2020 Symposium was planned for June 11-13, 2020, in São Paulo, Brazil. Due to the global pandemic, the Trustees and Organizing Committee agreed to host the Symposium online on June 12-13, 2020.
H-Maps, a free international digital forum in the historical study of the making, circulation, use and preservation of maps from the ancient to the contemporary period. Established in collaboration with H-Net in October 2019, http://networks.h-net.org/h-maps.
Prizes in Map History (established in 2020)
- Best Paper Delivered live at the ISHMap Symposium
- by a Participant with a terminal degree (e.g., PhD, MLA, MFA, etc..).
- by a Participant without a terminal degree
- Project in Map History (to be awarded in 2021) recognizes a project that increases accessibility and engagement with maps and map history through innovative presentation, rather than academic publication. Details will be published by September 1, 2020.