The Trustees of the International Society for the History of the Map invite advanced students, junior researchers and early career professionals to apply to the ISHMap workshop on May 10-11, 2022 in Montevideo, Uruguay. Click here to be taken to the application form.
Application is open through October 31, 2021.
The ISHMap Workshop will offer professional development activities and create community among up to 15 early-career scholars and professionals working in the history of cartography in teaching, research, curation, and collections. Over the course of two days, four interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary activities will be led by international experts, who will also discuss participants’ work-in-progress.
WORKSHOP DATE AND FORMAT: The workshop will take place Tuesday and Wednesday, May 10 and 11, 2022, 9 am – 5pm (-3 GMT).
We plan for on site only participation, if the health situation allows. If circumstances require, the event may transition to a virtual event.
The 2022 Symposium will be hosted in Montevideo, Uruguay. The Workshop’s principal venue will be the Museo Histórico Nacional in the city of Montevideo, Uruguay.
Workshop participants are encouraged to attend and to consider proposing a session or activity at the ISHMap 2022 symposium on May 12-13, 2022 in the same city.
APPLICATION DETAILS (below)
APPLICANT PROFILE: The Workshop is open to participants from different career paths, including professional and academic profiles, with an intent to privilege those starting their careers and those who have limited access to professional development opportunities.
ISHMap invites junior researchers (scholars who have recently obtained or are pursuing graduate degrees (Masters, Doctorate) or who have recently started their academic careers.
ISHMap also encourages applications from early career professionals developing activities related to the history of cartography in libraries, museums or cultural centers or who are interested in developing exhibitions, publications or activities related to the subject, and who have limited access to training and professional development. Those in ‘alternative academic’ or public sector fields and positions are also encouraged to apply.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGE: the official language of the Workshop will be English.
The Workshop organizers will provide breakfast and lunch on both workshop days.
Travel, lodging and dinner will be the responsibility of the participants.
The Workshop organizers will identify housing costs
ISHmap will charge a fee of up to $100 (USD) for those who can afford to pay it. The fees will defray the costs of providing meals and workshop materials.
Applications will be considered on a need-blind basis – no application will be refused if the participant cannot pay the fee.
APPLICATION: Application for the Workshop is by online form. Applicants are asked to provide
- Contact information: name, institutional affiliation, academic website / online bio-bibliography, social media
- A short professional biography (up to 2500 characters)
- A CV (up to 10 single-spaced pages, 12 point Times New Roman font)
- A rationale for why it is important for them to participate (in relation to the development of their careers, their current jobs, etc.) ( 2500 characters)
- A brief description of a project / paper / exhibition underway or to be started in 2021-2023 that will be presented and discussed during the workshop (3000 characters)
- The names and contact information for two professional references, and indication of relationship with the references (adviser, colleague, supervisor, etc.).
- Please note: Each participant agrees to submit an original research or historiography project of about 6000-8000 words for circulation to all participants to discuss / work during the workshop no later than March 15, 2022. Participation in the workshop depends on the receipt of this document. The project can be an article manuscript, dissertation chapter, exhibition script, grant application or other document that the participant would like to receive feedback on. For any questions, consult the organizers.
Workshop participants are cordially invited to attend the ISHMap Symposium on May 12-13, 2022. In addition, they may apply to participate in the Symposium. Application for the Symposium is separate from the Workshop; click here for Symposium Call for Papers. Workshop participants who wish to participate in both activities must apply separately to each.
Please submit your application as a Word (.doc, .docx), RTF (.rtf), or Open or Libre Office (.odt) file, on or before 31 October 2021 online here.
You may direct questions to organizers Carolina Martínez (carolina.martinez[at]unsam.edu.ar) and Lucia Rodríguez (luciarodriguezarrillaga[at]gmail.com) or ISHMap’s Chair, Jordana Dym, at ishmap.society[at]gmail.com.
Acceptances will be issued by mid-December 2021. Confirmation of attendance will be requierd by January 31, 2022. Those who cannot confirm attendance may be replaced by alternates to ensure that as many may participate as possible.